The alleged "chemistry" between David Cameron and Nick Clegg is therefore potentially dangerous, in that the purpose of Liberal Democrats in government can easily become forgotten in a desire to preserve that "special relationship."
I did not attend the conference last Sunday in which party representatives endorsed the coalition, but I understand that sharp reminders were given to our leaders on why we had worked so hard to put them there.
The Liberal Democrat priorities of:
- preserving and defending the human rights and civil liberties of all, including asylum seekers and migrants
- working for increased economic and social fairness and the protection of the vulnerable
- positive engagement with our partners in the European Union and the United Nations
- protection and conservation of our environment
- reform of our political institutions, starting with proportional representation by single transferable vote in multi-member constituencies