Wednesday 6 June 2012

Thoughts, just for yesterday, or for the future?

The first lesson read at the Queen's Jubilee service was :

Does not wisdom call, and does not understanding raise her voice? Hear, for
I will speak noble things, and from my lips will come what is right; for my
mouth will utter truth; wickedness is an abomination to my lips. All the words
of my mouth are righteous; there is nothing twisted or crooked in them. They
are all straight to one who understands and right to those who find knowledge.
Take my instruction instead of silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold;
for wisdom is better than jewels, and all that you may desire cannot compare
with her. I, wisdom, live with prudence, and I attain knowledge and discretion.
Proverbs 8. 1, 6-12

 The second, read by David Cameron, from St Paul's epistle to the Romans, Chapter 12 vv 1-18 instructs us to "extend hospitality to strangers."



So maybe the City of London (in which the service was held), along with the millionaires in the cabinet, will from now on seek wisdom rather than jewels (or bonuses), and  Theresa May will welcome rather than harass refugees and asylum seekers.



Or maybe we're now back to normal.

1 comment:

  1. You couldn't possibly be hinting at hypocrisy could you?
    It is just another example of religion as the opium of the masses?

    ReplyDelete