Monday, 29 April 2013
Livingstone, Malaŵi, History and Gove.
Yesterday morning's Sunday Worship on Radio 4 reminded me that this year is the 200th anniversary of the birth of David Livingstone.
Michael Gove might learn a few techniques from the official Malaŵian primary school history course on Livingstone. viz:
1. Dr Livigstone was a missionary: Stanley was not.
2. Livingstone was kind to Africans: Stanley was not.
3. Stanley used force on Aricans: Livignstone did not..
4. Livingstone depended on the Bible: Stanley depended on the gun.
5. Stanley fought for his way: Livingsotne negotiated for his way.
6. Stanley was a news reporter: Livingstone was a medical man.
7. Livignstone was loved by Africans: Stanley was not.
8. Stanley called Africa a dark continent: Livingstone called it a great continent.
(and , presumably to give a sense of balance, and reach a nice round number of "facts" to parrot)
9. Both Livingstone and Stanley were explorers.
10. Both of them were courageous in trying to achieve their aims.