Monday 8 April 2019

Labour advsed to put party before country


 (I have a new computer which  seems to change font size at will and I haven't yet learned to do anything about it.  Apologies)


I suppose there's nothing particularly surprising about the title, but this policy was blatantly exposed  in an article by Labour party apologist Owen Jones in last Friday's Guardian.  Under the title, "Go for a soft Brexit, Labour: it will finish off the Tories,"Jones argued that, if in Labour's talks with Mrs May a compromise involving a customs union and "close alignment with the single market"  were reached, this would split the Tories for generations to come and open the door to years of unimpeded Labour rule.

Well, maybe it would, though I'm not all that sure.  The Tories' secret weapon is and always has been, loyalty.  It's over  150 years since they split over the Corn Laws.

But how does our  country benefit from compromise  Jones advocates?  Its other names are Norway + and Common Market 2.0 (though I'm not sure why.)  It  would involve obeying all EU rules, including the four freedoms (free movement of capital, goods, services and - wait for it-  labour ) without any say in the making of them. along with subjection to the jurisdiction of the ECJ without any representation on it. 

So what would be the point of leaving?  Who  would have voted for that  if it had been made explicit in the 2016 referendum?

 Equally misleading ,  Jones believed   that a deal between Labour and Mrs May would  merely cause fury from those remainders who would  be “satisfied by no less than another referendum.” 

How sadly he misjudges us.  This remainer  will be satisfied with nothing less than a revocation of Article 50, an apology to the EU for wasting so much of their time and energy, and a promise to be co-operative and constructive members in the future.  Maybe the second part of this wish-list is pie in the sky, but over  6 million people have signed a petition calling for the first part, and Jones, wearing his Labour Party blinkers, never even mentions us.

   There is a better alternative to a soft Brexit.  If there is no deal before the coming Friday (12th April) and the EU refuses a further extension, then the Liberal Democrats will put forward a motion in parliament on Thursday to revoke Article 50.  Labour should vote for it. The UK is robust enough to survive the furious shrieks of the frustrated Brexiteers and any “yellow vest” disruption they may stir up.  

Then we  can, maybe after a general election get round to tackling, in co-operation with our nearest neighbours, the real problems facing our county, our continent and our planet.

8 comments:

  1. Do you really think that if you find the right cheat code you can resetpolitics back to 2015 and then go forward as if nothing had ever happened?

    The genie is out of the bottle. Leaver now know they are in the majority, whereas previously thanks to their point of view being almost totally unrepresented in the broadcast media they were made to feel like they were the odd, weird ones, and everybody sensible was obviously totally on board with the EU project.

    Until we leave the EU, that is going to inform all of British politics. The European elections, if they happen, will be treated as a second referendum and the Brexit party will get about 60%. If Article 50 is revoked then the next general election will be a Brexit coupon election, with every candidate being forced to state whether they will carry out the referendum result, and so will every other general election after that. Leave/Remain loyalties are far stronger, now, than old party loyalties.

    The issue is not going away, not ever, until we leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you're very cross but you don't tackle the issues, as the late great Tony Benn would have put it. Would you be satisfied with the compromise Jones hopes for? I suspect not.

      Delete
  2. The 1st test of the countries position on this Brexit mess will be with the local council elections. Hopefully the country can then move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both the two largest parties have handled Brexit very badly, so, if you're right, smaller parties and individuals should do very well. I hope the Liberal Democrats are among them

      Delete
  3. Hello Guys!! I am Belinda. I live in Chicago  USA. I am very excited today and do not know where to start my testimony from. I was a poor woman with 3 kids and find it difficult to pay my bills and feed my kids.My husband left me and the kids for another woman and ever since then we were living in pain and hunger but just few days ago i came across a testimony of a man who got a blank ATM card from Mr.Alexander so i immediately contacted him for the same type of ATM card and i am very happy to announce to the world that i am living a fulfilled life. This blank ATM card can withdraw up to 10,000 dollars and more daily without you having any account with any bank. I have been able to buy a house and start my own business with this blank ATM card. Are you poor and need help then contact him now. Mr.Alexander email address is alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Guys!! I am Caro. I live in Ohio, USA. I am very excited today and do not know where to start my testimony from. I was a poor woman with 3 kids and found it difficult to pay my bills and feed my kids. My husband left me and the kids for another woman and ever since then we were living in pain and hunger but just few days ago I came across a testimony of a man who got a blank ATM card from Mr. Alexander so I immediately contacted him for the same type of ATM card and i am very happy to announce to the world that I am living a fulfilled life. This blank ATM card can withdraw up to 10,000 dollars and more daily without you having any account with any bank. Now I have money for business, shopping and enough money for me and my family to live on. The card works in all countries and  that  is  the good news. Alexander email address is alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Guys!! I am Caro. I live in Ohio, USA. I am very excited today and do not know where to start my testimony from. I was a poor woman with 3 kids and found it difficult to pay my bills and feed my kids. My husband left me and the kids for another woman and ever since then we were living in pain and hunger but just few days ago I came across a testimony of a man who got a blank ATM card from Mr. Alexander so I immediately contacted him for the same type of ATM card and i am very happy to announce to the world that I am living a fulfilled life. This blank ATM card can withdraw up to 10,000 dollars and more daily without you having any account with any bank. Now I have money for business, shopping and enough money for me and my family to live on. The card works in all countries and  that  is  the good news. Alexander email address is alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. WELCOME TO THE ILLUMINATI BROTHERHOOD ORGANIZATION.


    I believe we all have a dream, a dream to become something big in life, so many people die today without accomplishing their dreams. Some of us are destined to become the president of our various countries or to become. one of the world's greatest musicians, footballers, politicians, businessmen, comedians or to be a helper to other people that are in need Note; newly recruited members are entitled to great benefits and rewards, There is no human sacrifice. If you are truly interested in joining the illuminati contact us today for more Information WhatsApp: +1 (510)-900-9125

    ReplyDelete