Thursday 14 February 2019

Youthful priorities


Around the turn of the century, while I was still teaching part-time, I was dragooned into compulsory  after-school in-service training.  The speaker was a big-wigs from the Local Education Authority (LEA) whose mission was to instruct us in the importance of Citizenship Education.  Young people should know the  importance of voting, the important things the council did over and above the collecting of rubbish, how it was vital in a healthy democracy for citizens to be informed and to participate by exercising their vote

As frequently the only social science teacher on the staff, I have several times been lumbered with somebody's bright idea for a "Civics" programme.  I have never found  then particularly successful. My experience has been that pupils under the ages of 16 or so, just aren't all that bothered, nor in the intricacies of obtaining mortgages, or the perils of hire-purchase, as it used to be called.  Much the same applies to many things that adults years away from the classroom feel that the young "ought" to be taught. Maybe my approach was wrong.

I explained this to the speaker, and argued that, if we really want to interest pupils in democracy the  best approach is to offer them some democratic control over their own lives -  uniform, meals, meal times and break times, lengths of lessons, maybe what  sports, arts, subject options are available, school rules, rewards and punishment  - via some sort of school council  Simply electing a  from captain with the duty of keeping the form room tidy was not enough.

This did not receive a positive response.

A few weeks later hundreds of pupils in local schools (though sadly, not ours) abandoned their classes to go on protest marches on some aspect of government policy.  ( I had thought is was the Iraq War, but that wasn't until 2003 and I had retired by then - so I can't now be sure what.)

Predictably the LEA was outraged and highly condemnatory.

Similar negative reactions have been expressed about  the proposed co-ordinated action  tomorrow (Friday 15th February) when hundreds of thousands of UK school children are invited to abandon their classes to protest against our politicians' timid approach to tackling climate change,and their their rank failure to teat the climate crisis as a crisis.

All power to their elbows.

No one knows what exactly the consequences will be if climate change continues on its present course.   One speculation about the nature of our dystopian  future is depicted in John Lanchester's new novel, The Wall. (Faber and Faber, 2019.) 

It is not pleasant, and it is our children who will experience it, or something like it.  Lanchester's novel clearly expresses the contempt they will feel towards a previous generation which  failed to take action to avert what he ominously calls "The Change.."

Post script: (added Saturday 16th February.) 

Well, apparently between 10 000 and 15 000 turned out in the UK, which isn't a lot when you consider that there are several million schoolchildren.

There were some clever home-made posters.  My favourite was:

"March now - or swim later" (read Lanchester's book to see ho appropriate that is.)

"I've seen smarter  cabinet's in IKEA" is clever, but far from specific to climate change.

There's been plenty of coverage in the media and that I've seen or read (Channel 4 News, BBC and Guardian) has been hugely supportive.)  Maybe the Daily mail took a different take. Al I can find on their 0n-line edition is:



Nothing like accentuating the negative.

Nine year old Daniel Miliband was there with his Dad, former \Labour Leader Ed Miliband  to keep an eye on him. Young Daniel had learned his lines carefully:  "I am hare because it is our future  and we need to protedt it." 

All in all, a good and useful time seems to have been  had by all.

5 comments:

  1. The future is theirs. Yes it is valid for them to campaign against the incompetency of adults contemplating their. navels of today (shortsightedness
    Surely 15 and 16 years old should be able to have a 'school parliament' to discuss what happens in school and devise improvements.Equally as they will enter the wider world after school and become adults they can ,together, shape the world for the future.Wise adults will take their concerns seriously,their can be votes for the party that takes their concerns seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nigel: glad you agree. I hope an impressive turnout today wil make our leaders sit up and take notice - and action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reluctant in purchasing this blank ATM card I heard about online because everything seems too good to be true,but I was convinced & shocked when my friend at my place of work got the card from ALEXANDERHACKERS & we both confirmed it really works,without delay I gave it a go. Ever since then I've been withdrawing about $5,500 daily from the card & the money has been in my own account. So glad I got my card it truly works and made me rich!! GOOD NEWS! the card works in all countries.If you need this card don't hesitate to contact Alexander's email address: alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reluctant in purchasing this blank ATM card I heard about online because everything seems too good to be true,but I was convinced & shocked when my friend at my place of work got the card from ALEXANDERHACKERS & we both confirmed it really works,without delay I gave it a go. Ever since then I've been withdrawing about $5,500 daily from the card & the money has been in my own account. So glad I got my card it truly works and made me rich!! GOOD NEWS! the card works in all countries.If you need this card don't hesitate to contact Alexander's email address: alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Guys!! I am Belinda. I live in Chicago  USA. I am very excited today and do not know where to start my testimony from. I was a poor woman with 3 kids and find it difficult to pay my bills and feed my kids.My husband left me and the kids for another woman and ever since then we were living in pain and hunger but just few days ago i came across a testimony of a man who got a blank ATM card from Mr.Alexander so i immediately contacted him for the same type of ATM card and i am very happy to announce to the world that i am living a fulfilled life. This blank ATM card can withdraw up to 10,000 dollars and more daily without you having any account with any bank. I have been able to buy a house and start my own business with this blank ATM card. Are you poor and need help then contact him now. Mr.Alexander email address is alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete