Sunday 12 May 2019

. . a tide in the affairs of [the Liberal Democrats]



As Shakespeare said  (J ulius Caesar Act 4, scene 3) :

"There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood leads on to . . ." well, who knows?

Two opinion polls published  over the weekend show the Liberal democrats ahead of the Tories, with the latter  in fourth place.

Here's one of them.



BREX: 27% (-1)
LAB: 25% (-1)
LDEM: 14% (+3)
CON: 13% (-1)
GRN: 8% (+2)
CHUK: 6% (-2)
UKIP: 3% (+1)

 Of course, it's only by 1% and well within the poll's margin of error, so nothing to get too excited about.

But as Harold Wilson said: "A week is a long time in politics,"  there's still 11 days to go before the EU elections, and the political situation is more volatile than most of us can remember.

Sometimes circumstances favour a political party.  As mentioned in the previous post, they favoured the Greens in our recent local council elections because both Sir David Attenborough's TV programmes and the demonstrations inspired by the Swedish schoolgirl Greta Thunbeerg were very much in the headlines.  The Greens perform strongly in this opinion poll.

But we Liberal Democrats performed not just strongly but very strongly in those same elections, winning over 700 council seats (whereas Labour lost over 80 and the Tories over a 1 300).

So just for once, and after  a long period in the doldrums, we are, if not yet once again "flavour of the month,"  in poll position among the Remainers (in England.   Of course: things are different in Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland).

In this poll Liberal Democrats have almost twice as much support as the Greens, and more than twice as much as Change UK (the Tiggers)

An article by Jonathan  Freedland in the Guardian  urges the Stop Brexiteers to give their vote to the Liberal Democrats. Of course, that's probably speaking to we anoraks, but a movement  started by Gina Milear, the wonderful woman who went to the High Court to force Mrs May to give parliament some say in Brexit, has set up a website Remain United  which may have a wider currency because it's on Twitter.   This recommends those who wish to stop Brexit to vote  Liberal Democrat in England, SNP in Scotland and Plaid Cymru in Wales.

Given than stopping Brexit is by far the most important political objective for anyone who has the reputation of the nation, and all our futures, British and European, at heart, this issue should transcend other minor variations of policy and party loyalty.

So in the next eleven days there's all for us to play for.

6 comments:

  1. The remain side has not got a leader to unite all the factions together. Being not a member of any political party but wishes to remain Gina Miller could be that Leader. but time is short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right about our lack of leadership. it should have been Vince Cable but somehow he's lost his charisma. I have fingers crossed that the Gina Miller initiative might just catch the public imagination but it doesn't seem to have so far.

    So I've just coughed up yet another additional contribution to Liberal Democrat HQ in the hope that they can come up with something eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Guys!! I am Belinda. I live in Chicago  USA. I am very excited today and do not know where to start my testimony from. I was a poor woman with 3 kids and find it difficult to pay my bills and feed my kids.My husband left me and the kids for another woman and ever since then we were living in pain and hunger but just few days ago i came across a testimony of a man who got a blank ATM card from Mr.Alexander so i immediately contacted him for the same type of ATM card and i am very happy to announce to the world that i am living a fulfilled life. This blank ATM card can withdraw up to 10,000 dollars and more daily without you having any account with any bank. I have been able to buy a house and start my own business with this blank ATM card. Are you poor and need help then contact him now. Mr.Alexander email address is alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Guys!! I am Belinda. I live in Chicago  USA. I am very excited today and do not know where to start my testimony from. I was a poor woman with 3 kids and find it difficult to pay my bills and feed my kids.My husband left me and the kids for another woman and ever since then we were living in pain and hunger but just few days ago i came across a testimony of a man who got a blank ATM card from Mr.Alexander so i immediately contacted him for the same type of ATM card and i am very happy to announce to the world that i am living a fulfilled life. This blank ATM card can withdraw up to 10,000 dollars and more daily without you having any account with any bank. I have been able to buy a house and start my own business with this blank ATM card. Are you poor and need help then contact him now. Mr.Alexander email address is alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Guys!! I am Caro. I live in Ohio, USA. I am very excited today and do not know where to start my testimony from. I was a poor woman with 3 kids and found it difficult to pay my bills and feed my kids. My husband left me and the kids for another woman and ever since then we were living in pain and hunger but just few days ago I came across a testimony of a man who got a blank ATM card from Mr. Alexander so I immediately contacted him for the same type of ATM card and i am very happy to announce to the world that I am living a fulfilled life. This blank ATM card can withdraw up to 10,000 dollars and more daily without you having any account with any bank. Now I have money for business, shopping and enough money for me and my family to live on. The card works in all countries and  that  is  the good news. Alexander email address is alexanderhackers01@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete